Wednesday, July 15, 2009

GRAMMY Camp® '09 So Fine by Dertrick Winn Jr.

I was all fired up. I had planned for Vince and I to go up and perform at the GRAMMY Camp® Open Mic night, just so he could keep beat and I could rap, but as it turns out, he had also committed to playing drums with some other instrumentalists in the slot right before me. I thought, "Well, he is up there, but maybe I’ll just wait and let them do their thing." But as Vince gave me a nod and later a confirming wave, I felt the spirit of performance stir up in me, as I left my seat and made it up to the stage.

Now aroused by the adreneline, I was wide awake. I wasn’t really sure what I would do or say, but I knew whatever I did, it would be something to remember. So the music began, and I rushed to come up with something to get the crowd to participate. And it came out “GRAMMY CAMP O9! GRAMMY CAMP SO FINE!” I got everyone to repeat it at least twice, and by then I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to begin with. So it was on.

I don’t really remember much of what I said, I just remember jumping around and shouting lyrics to a cover of Herbie Hancock’s “Chameleon.” I realized about 30 seconds into my performance that I was drowned out by the music, and that the audience could hardly hear a word that I was saying. I didn’t really care though, I was so hype. I’ve always felt very comfortable on stage and I was having fun regardless. By the time the band laid the song to rest, I was out of breath and my voice was all raspy and dry, but it was the best feeling in the world. I was happy to hear a loud applause at the end. It made me really glad to be back at GRAMMY Camp.

No comments: