Sunday, July 20, 2008

What Justin Says
by Jenay Ross

Returning for his second year of GRAMMY Camp®, Justin Klunk (aka “Pikachu”), is ready to jam on his saxophone. Justin, the only sax player at this year's GRAMMY Camp, thinks it’s very interesting. “It’s kind of a mix between being excited and a little worried,” he says. “I’m worried about not letting it get to my head.”

Justin’s friend, who is involved in GRAMMY Day, mentioned the camp to him, and encouraged him to go in 2007. “Last year was pretty different. This year it’s more organized and the counselors are more interactive with the tracks,” he says.
He mainly enjoys playing R&B and jazz tunes on his sax and listens to all genres besides country. He hopes to network with other musicians at camp and wants to gain more knowledge about music itself.

When asked about his “napkin origami,” he explained the making of his newfound hobby: “It originated at GRAMMY Camp in 2008 at the USC cafeteria. I decided, while I ate a cheese omelet, that I needed a special talent. I looked at my napkin and developed napkin origami. First I crumble a napkin and then fidget with it. After a while, I see what I abstractly made and then I create other things.”

No comments: