Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Return to GRAMMY Camp® by Jenay Ross

Although this is my second year at GRAMMY Camp®, I still had those nervous jitters before I arrived at USC. Once I arrived, set up my side of my dorm room, said my farewell to my mom, and reunited with my old camp friends, counselors, and instructor Steve Baltin, those jitters went away. Seeing those familiar faces of other second and third-year kids was refreshing. It’s like one big reunion with old memories and jokes coming back alive. It feels like we just departed GRAMMY Camp ’08 a couple days ago, and now we’re back for round two.

GRAMMY Camp has definitely expanded and as I look around at all the new faces, I wonder to myself how I will manage to remember all of their names. Besides wondering how I will pull off calling the campers by their names and verging away from saying, “Hey you with the guitar,” I am excited to jump in and start interviewing many of them. Like last year, these kids seem like they have a great deal of passion for music and I’m ready to learn what they are all about.

I am also anticipating seeing which professionals I’ll be able to speak to. GRAMMY Camp is a great place for gaining connections with people who actually know what they are doing in the music industry and I am craving to learn as much as I can from them. I’m hoping this year is even better than the last.

No comments: